U-14s capture South Mayo crown

South Mayo U-14 ‘B’ Football Championship
Ballinrobe 4-14
Shrule/Glencorrib 3-6

Mike Finnerty

AFTER putting in such a magnificent second half performance and winning a precious South Mayo title in the process, you’d have thought that the Ballinrobe U-14 squad would have been dying to get their hands on the cup on Thursday evening.
Instead, they took the win in their stride, accepted the congratulations from their family and friends, and started to head off into the Hollymount dressing-rooms.
To be honest, they seemed unfazed by it all and happy enough to head back into Ballinrobe for the obligatory ‘lap of the town’ and champion’s meal of sausages and chips!
Thankfully, Ger McHugh of the South Mayo GAA Board appeared with the trophy just in time and the Ballinrobe lads returned to the scene of their triumph to get the cup, soak up the attention, and have their picture taken.
It was the least they deserved!
A good crowd travelled from town to the Saucer in Hollymount for this South Final on Thursday evening and they weren’t disappointed with Ballinrobe’s performance — especially in the second half.
Consider these stats; Shrule/Glencorrib scored three goals in the last five minutes of the first half to race into a 3-4 to 0-4 lead. The border lads were practically planning the homecoming at half-time!
But Pat Kennedy and Declan Corcoran (Ballinrobe’s answer to Trappatoni and Tardelli!) gave an inspired team-talk at the break, re-organised the troops, and the lads on the field took care of the rest.
Ballinrobe blew their opponents away in the second half, outscoring them by 4-10 to 0-2!
It was an incredible turnaround.
Evan O’Brien (who was wearing a very trendy pair of orange football boots) started the ball rolling with a scrambled goal early in the second half before Edward Sweeney grabbed two goals (including one freakish score that flew past the Shrule ‘keeper after hitting a divot) and Kevin Quinn wrapped things up with a well-taken fourth goal.
Ger Lynagh also scored seven classy points from frees while Peter Walsh tormented the Shrule/Glencorrib backs and finished with three points from play.
But it wasn’t just about who got the scores. This was a great team performance.
Conor Burke could do nothing about the Shrule goals before half-time and his kick-outs were precise and wll-judged; Dean Shaughnessy, Mark Finnerty and Cillian Walsh ran a tight ship in the full-back line and Peter Butler, Matthew Burke and Sean Óg Collins were outstanding in the half-back line.
Pierce Jennings and Edward Sweeney worked well together at midfield, while Ger Lynagh, Diarmuid Doran and Kevin Vahey carried ball, made tackles, and did a lot of hard work in the half-forward line.
The full-forward line of Evan O’Brien, Kevin Quinn and Peter Walsh were always dangerous.
Ballinrobe’s captain Sean Óg Collins accepted the cup afterwards before the lads, finally, got to head back into town for their lap of honour and well-deserved refreshments.
Well done to all the lads and management on a great win. The club wishes them all the best in the county championship which begins soon.

Conor Burke; Dean Shaughnessy, Mark Finnerty, Cillian Walsh; Peter Butler, Matthew Burke, Sean Óg Collins; Pierce Jennings, Edward Sweeney (2-2); Ger Lynagh (0-7, 7fs), Diarmuid Doran, Kevin Vahey; Evan O’Brien (1-1), Kevin Quinn (1-1, 1-0pen), Peter Walsh (0-

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *